The Future is Now!

Monday, November 12, 2007

Life can be so cruel. Intel's new computer chips -better, smaller, faster- ship today. Which means we can expect the MacPro2 or the MacSuperPro or the MacTasticSpeedemon or some such permutation by the end of the week. That's what happens in this arena. The next big thing is always just around the corner. Sooner or later you've just got to settle, so I gathered myself and found a shady spot.

But it's great! Can you just feel the power? The completely untethered speed at which this page loaded up when you clicked to it? No? Hmmm... must be a problem somewhere. I'll have to look into it. It's possible that my new Mac was just completely demoralized by the news of the new chips, and just decided to run at a half step slower pace. It's like any race. A close second and a distant second is still only a silver -why work so hard for it?.

Buying a new computer is like buying a new set of tools. They're nice and shiny and they sit there in your garage until you've got something to do with them. You never really go out and buy the tools, you just agonize when you're trying to fix something and you realize you could use some new tools. That's why I saved up the money for it -so that it wouldn't be so painful to the bank account when the purchase was finally made. Cash is king! I'm trying not to use credit cards, if only to avoid the tsk-tsking of Mrs. Ditchman. I'm not entirely dumb, though, I got the Apple Family Discount and then I used the Visa for the points and paid it off. If I focus on the good deal I got, it takes my mind off the new MacPro that will probably be released tomorrow. I'll deal. As long as the new release isn't faster and cheaper than the one I got, I'll deal. We'll see.

Truth is, I didn't get the fastest computer out there anyway. Couldn't afford it. The rate I was saving up money wasn't as fast as the rate at which they improve these things, which is good for civilization I guess. I always said that the next computer I got was going to be the fastest, best thing out there, so as to prolong the lifespan of the thing, but you know when it comes down to it, Necessity trumps all the Good Intentions, which is what makes life so confusing. Ah well, it all works better than it did.

So I spent a good portion of the weekend just floating 1s and 0s from Mac to Mac, with some problems. Everything on the old 'puter is a few operating systems old, so it was like a teenager trying to communicate with a geriatric. With Alzheimer's. We're still trying to find some common ground, but I was able to post this, so there's hope.

Thanksgiving is coming! Can't you hear it? It sounds like clinking glasses and yelling children and it looks all cluttered with the mismatched chairs, but it's awesome. I suppose it's supposed to look like the Pottery Barn catalog, but there's a reason why those photos are completely devoid of people.